We were rejigging the strawberry patch. I have made an Observation about the vegetable patch. During a couple of weekends in late spring, They put plants into the ground, and then spend all the rest of the summer pulling other plants out.
Andy says its called Weeding. It seems to take up an inordinate amount of time.
There was a strange noise – it started as a low hum, and got louder and louder. And then a black cloud came low over the trees. Aaarghh, a swarm of bees coming straight at us. Run for cover.
We made it indoors and luckily they buzzed off quite quickly. But from whence had they come? Time to check out our hives.
Hive Bee was fine and dandy. Lots of bees and lots of lovely, sticky honey.
Sadly the same could not be said for Hive A. It was completely infested with Wax Moth, and it must have been our bees who had just emigrated. The hive was in a right old state. Quite repulsive. Upsetting. And needing some urgent action.
As there were no bees in residence, no viable colony, it was an easy decision to simply destroy the whole lot. All the frames were thrown on the bonfire and burnt.
And the shell of the hive thoroughly cleaned out. It will be treated with a blow torch too to get rid of any remaining eggs. And will be beepopulated next year.
To end on a happy note, here is a Carpeneter Bee either pollinating or being pollenated by a Passion Flower.